Development in Action’s mission is to promote global citizenship by improving understanding of and engagement in development issues amongst young people in the UK. Our Global Citizenship Workshops are one of the key ways in which we achieve this.
DiA understands global citizenship to include:
- Understanding of global issues, including global interdependence.
- Awareness of the impact that an individual’s choices make on the world and others around them.
- Active citizenship through personal actions, education, and engagement.
What We Offer
Through our Global Citizenship Workshops we offer FREE workshops to schools, colleges and sixth forms throughout the UK on the subject of global development issues.
Since January 2013, we have delivered interactive workshops to students of all ages – from Key Stage 3 to A-Level – on a range of global development issues which are highly relevant for schools’ Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural (SMSC) development across the curriculum.
Topics that we have covered so far include but are not limited to:
- Women and development
- Comparing different types of aid
- Social justice and conflict resolution
- Diversity and Sustainability
- Millennium Development Goals
- Corruption and Development
- International Women’s Day
Using a pool of interactive educational resources accredited by Teachable: Top Quality Teaching Resources, and Geography- and Citizenship-specific resources, our workshop leaders engage pupils on what it means to be a global citizen.
When booking a workshop with us we offer the following services:
- FREE workshops – no cost is incurred to the school when delivering the workshop (except for travel expenses for schools outside of London)
- FREE resources – with our high quality prepared materials we’ve done the work so you don’t have to!
- One-to-one meetings with our UK Programme Manager before workshops take place
- FREE briefings for schools on DiA’s UK Programme
- E-mail and phone support
We also tailor workshops for charity-specific days, e.g. Fairtrade Fortnight, International Women’s Day, UN World Environment Day.
What do teachers think of our workshops?
“Well organised and extremely approachable; Jamie inspired students to think about working in development” – Geography teacher, Berkhamsted School
“The workshop was pitched at the right level and the content was engaging.” – Director of Learning and Head of Year 8, Skinners Academy
“I would welcome more workshops as part of PSHCE.” – Teacher, Woodford County Grammar School
To read an in-depth example of a previous Global Citizenship Workshop, please visit our Previous Workshops page.
How to Book
We don’t just offer workshops, you can also book us in for:
- Drop-Down days
- Enrichment days
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details or to sign up.
Download our UK Flyer here.
If you are interested in volunteering to lead Global Citizenship Workshops, please click here for further information and how to apply.